Swann's Point

Col. William Swann patented 1200 acres at Swann's Point in 1635 (Patent Book 1, Part 1, p. 293). The plantation increased to 1650 acres by patents to Col. Thomas Swann in 1638 and 1655 (Patent Book 1, Part 2, p. 567; Patent Book 4, p. 25).

George Marable, the immigrant, first touched the Swann holdings in 1670 (although not Swann's Point) when he sat upon a jury which inquired into a dispute betwenn Thomas Swann and Thomas Ludwell:

After Bacon's Rebellion (1676) the King's Commissioners sent to Virginia in investigate the "troubles" held their proceedings at Swann's Point. It was here, then, that petitions were heard complaining of the conduct of William Hartwell, captain of Governor Berkeley's guard, in the supression of the rebellion.

In one of history's little ironies, when Swann's Point was sold by the son of Col. Thomas Swann in 1706 to John Joseph Jackman, the plantation was purchased in turn from Jackman in 1709 by Major George Marable, son of the immigrant.and husband of Mary Hartwell. Three months later Captain Marable sold the plantation to Mary's brother, John Hartwell.

Upon his death in 1714, Swann's Point passed to John Hartwell's daughter, Elizabeth, then a minor. When this granddaughter of William Hartwell later married Richard Cocke of Henrico County they made their residence at Swann's Point. It was the ancestral home of this Cocke family for three generations and was the birthplace of General John Hartwell Cocke who later became associated with Bremo in Fluvanna County.


Modified last on July 2, 1996 by James L. Marable.
(Comments and suggestions welcome.)