Governor's Palace

Major George Marable was a representative of the small planters along the James River and clashed frequently with the occupants of the Governor's Palace.

George Marable (then a captain of the milita) appears in the Affidavit and the Further Affidavit of Robert Beverley, Gentleman, 1704, (Fleet, Virginia Colonial Abstracts, Vol. VII, King and Queen County (Baltimore, Genealogical Publishing Co. 1961), pp. 18-38), concerning the recall of Governor Nicholson. Thus, Beverley testified:

and in the Narrative of Robert Beverley, 1703/4, similarly:

A decade later, it was Governor Alexander Spotswood who found in George Marable a target for his wrath. After clashing over the Tobacco Act favored by the larger interests but opposed by the small planters, the Governor and Marable locked horns over a matter of local rule when Spotswood removed the county court from James City to Williamsburg. The Governor's response, of 26 August 1715, to the petition to restore the court to James City was remarkable, to say the least: